Producer Guidelines, 2018
“Co-production is first of all a Division of Labour” – quote from MMP Resident for Financial and Legal William Furnivall.
MMP exists for start-up producers on their first or second majority feature aiming for international co-production, and for experienced producers looking for international minority co-production projects.
MMP MAJORITY PRODUCER AND PROJECT OUTLINE PROFILE:
MMP addresses start-up Producers (First or Second Feature) with Artistic Intent looking at international co-production.
A well-developed script draft (in English) and full written budget need to be available, and some domestic/regional funding activity should be present.
When preparing initial presentation documents (Project Outlines) please bear in mind you are aiming at potential co-producers, and in fact only at them.
Please imagine a reader who has 7 minutes to get interested in your presentation from an Ipad, in afternoon sunlight, after a good lunch, and on a slow-moving train. ...If you think this suggests a final single presentation document for your project that will not normally be over 7 or 8 pages you are quite right...
The initial MMP Project Outline (as ONE single document, please) will be formalized in 3 parts: text for descriptions of dramatic content, tables for financials (Budget and Financial Plan), and lists for all other data (see below).
ONCE YOUR PRESENTATION IS SUBMITTED, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO WORK ON IT UNTIL IT IS CONSIDERED READY FOR DISTRIBUTION TO PROFESSIONAL CO-PRODUCERS. (this can take time, depending on how fast you are able to work).
YOUR PRESENTATION WILL THEN BE SENT OUT TO RELEVANT AND EXPERIENCED MINORITY CO-PRODUCERS (WORLD-WIDE) FOR FEEDBACK AND ANY FURTHER INTEREST IN YOUR PROJECT.
PROJECTS THAT FIND PROFESSIONAL CO-PRODUCER INTEREST, CONFIRMED THROUGH SCRIPT READING AND ANALYSIS, WILL NORMALLY THEN BE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN APPOINTMENTS IN MANNHEIM IN NOVEMBER 2018.
THE MMP PROCESS DEMANDS TIME.(Work is spread typically over 2-3 months,) WE START WORK EVERY YEAR AT THE END OF MAY. OBVIOUSLY THOSE LEAD PRODUCERS THAT START WITH US IN THAT PERIOD HAVE A CLEAR ADVANTAGE OVER PRODUCERS THAT APPLY IN THE FINAL DAYS OF SUBMISSION AT THE BEGINNING OF SEPTEMBER.
In your initial submission, please include:
- Basic production data in one-liners (title, production co, shooting periods, format, etc)
- Project tag line (as short as possible, but in no case longer than a dozen words).
- Ev. Log Line – maximum 3 short sentences.
- Longer synopsis (up to 1.5 pages please). This should include: enhanced storyline, shooting specifics (locations etc.) and any extraordinary production elements.
- If you have a short (e.g. half page) director’s vision (stating only what the director will contribute to the filmed work) please add it at the end of the synopsis.
- If you have a short director’s statement (e.g. half a page) describing the project then please add it as well.
- Please LIST (do not include yet) available documents for attachment considered relevant for your project (e.g. treatment, script, full budget, long-forms of e.g. producer and director profiles, full director statement, extraordinary photographic materials, mood board, storyboard, etc).
- Please list any direct Internet links to the project as available.
- Short Budget Outline: Please table expected co-producer elements and their costs in columns separate from domestic spend. Please make sure all totals match and items can be quickly referred to. This table will be included in the Outline document – not as an extra.
- Financial Plan: what, how much, from whom & when (committed/expected) – tabulated to show domestic and international separately and chronologically, with participation percentages.
- Full Project History: We do mean a listing of all relevant facts – including number of rewrites, all past and present submissions or attempts at funding or markets with no omissions. Any negative information will in no way be held against you or the viability of your project for MMP.
- Required minority Participation (Co-production profile) – list the co-production elements considered important. This data should also be reflected in the budget proposal and highlighted there (e.g., co-producer budget items in red).
13,14. Short director profile (e.g. a dozen lines) with listed works, ditto short-form for producer. Internet links to previous works.
- Full contact details (including landlines, Skype, etc)
World-wide submissions (to mmp(at)iffmh.de or directly to julek(at)compuserve.com ) definitely close September 5th but you can/should start any time – but best straight after June 1st 2018.
MINORITY PRODUCER PARTICIPANT PROFILE:
Will bring primarily an excellent knowledge and experience of how his/her territorial financing and production possibilities can work for specific co-production projects. Unafraid to work with Start-ups within MMP.
PROJECTS THAT FIND PROFESSIONAL CO-PRODUCER INTEREST, CONFIRMED THROUGH SCRIPT READING AND ANALYSIS, WILL NORMALLY THEN BE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN APPOINTMENTS IN MANNHEIM IN NOVEMBER 2018!
Your next physical MANNHEIM MEETING PLACE 2018 , at the IFF Mannheim Heidelberg, will be held from18th to 21st November 2018.
Coordinator MMP 2018
a part of IFF Mannheim Heidelberg